How to Organize your Studio or Office in 4 easy steps!
Bing, ratatattat, crash! Aaahhhh! Fudge! This is what it use to sound like in my jewelry studio when I would spill beads, tools or other supplies. Although it can include an “OUCH” too! While in my creative chaos I would get so involved with my process that I would let the mess overwhelm me, and then I would have nowhere to work. Does this sound like you? Or are you super organized?
Last week I shared my New Year and New Outlook. Resolution #4 is to keep my jewelry studio organized so I can make my handmade jewelry more efficiently and with less chaos!
Over the course of the year I have noticed what I use on a daily or weekly basis and the items that are not as well used. This guided my organization process.
Here are 4 tips to help you with your organization process, no matter what you need to organize.
1. Ask yourself “How do I work?” This is the key question you need to ask yourself when organizing your office or hobby space.
2. Find your motivating hotspot. I started from the top down. This made the most visual impact of clearing the clutter and since I am a visual person it made me feel good.
3. Separate items into categories. I separated my hobby items from the jewelry supply items. After that, I took it a step further and separated them into subcategories: well used, slightly used, haven’t used in a long time…
4. Take notes. While I was sorting, cleaning, tossing and repurposing, I made notes of what kind of organizational items I needed.
- Such as 2 white drawer bins, 4 photo boxes, 1 binder.
- Use specific numbers of items instead of “more.” When I started my list I wrote binder and then used tally marks. Then just count up the tally marks. Also note what you want it for when you are writing it down.
- Specify where they would go and what size they need to be. This helped me with my vision of how it would look and how I would work with it. This also made sure I didn’t over buy and bought exactly what I needed. I even went out later to buy a few more little items, such as folders and paper organizing items.
So check out the before and after photos below for a peek behind the scenes!
Your Turn! What are you going to organize next? Leave me a comment below.
See you next time!